Carclo plc was established in 1924 as a manufacturer of card clothing – a consumable wire product used in the combing of textile fibres prior to spinning. It established a world-leading position in the manufacture of card clothing when it acquired The English Card Clothing Company in 1979.
The group was both successful and acquisitive, allowing it to expand its range of metal processing businesses. This culminated in the acquisition of Arthur Lee and Sons plc in 1993. The acquisition complimented Carclo’s wire, wire rope and steel strip activities. It also brought to the group its first involvement in technical plastics.
In 1997 the group undertook a series of acquisitions and disposals to progressively focus on higher growth technical plastics businesses which were funded through the disposal of non-core wire and steel businesses. This strategy has transformed the group into the technology-led plastics company of today.